Feedback on The Trailblazers lecture at the d.a.i.
"In dem Vortrag habe ich so viel über die Fotos und Biografien von Gertrude Käsebier, Berenice Abbott und anderen amerikanischen Fotografinnen erfahren. Danke Lee! Und du hast ein tolle Art zu erzählen. Bei mir ist so viel hängen geblieben, ich erinnere mich an viele Details - ein Zeichen dafür, wie emotional packend deine Geschichten waren." — A.M.
Is your class or group interested in exploring the people and stories that influenced the development of American photography? I offer talks about the history of American photographers from 1890-2014, uncovering their stories and tracing their impact on the development of photography in general. One of my specialties is introducing modern audiences to the important contributions by accomplished American female photographers from the early 20th century, women whose work is too often over-looked and left out of the history books altogether. In my 2015 Coming into Focus: Women in Photography project, my research will expand to explore the work of 20th century female photographers worldwide.
Contact me for a complete range of lecture topics and schedule availability. Topics can be tailored to your group's particular needs and interests. All of the topics can be organized into one or more 60-90 minute lectures and offered as either a series of lectures, or as a single, stand-alone presentation.
Recent Lecture Topics at the d.a.i.-Tübingen and the University of Tübingen:
- Circa 1900: American Women Photographers: 200 photographs by 30 American women photographers were exhibited at the 1900 Universal Exposition in Paris. Presentations on this topic include a look at the work and career of Frances Benjamin Johnston, the show's organizer and a celebrated photographer in her own right, as well as that some of the 30 women included in the 1900 exhibit, among them Gertrude Käsebier, Sarah Jane Eddy and Eva Watson Schütze, and more.
Recent Lecture 2014: Pioneering a Career as a Female Photographer circa 1900, a lecture at the University of Tübingen, part of the Issues in American Literature and Culture III seminar
- 20th Century American Women Photographers: A overview of the life and careers of significant female American photographers during the entire span of the 20th century. Included in this topic are works by Berenice Abbot, Diane Arbus, Imogen Cunningham, Gertrude Käsebier, Dorothea Lange, Annie Leibovitz, Joanne Leonard, Cindy Sherman, Margaret Bourke-White, Marion Post Wolcott, and others.
Recent Lectures 2013-14: Series of public lectures at the Deutsch-Amerikanisches Institut Tübingen, including:
- The Trail Blazers: Pioneering a Career as a Female Photographer
- The Photojournalists: Documenting a Difficult World
- The Innovators: Advancing New Approaches to Photography
- History of American Photographers An overview of significant achievements by American photographers in the 20th century. Covering works by prominent American photographers such as Berenice Abbot, Ansel Adams, Richard Avedon, Margaret Bourke-White, Imogen Cunningham, Edward Curtis, Dorothea Lange, Annie Leibovitz and Alfred Stieglitz, among others.
Lecture February 2013: 20th Century American Photography in Focus, a public lecture at the Deutsch-Amerikanisches Institut Tübingen; Click here to read a review of this lecture by Hermann Lohss (in German).